Workshop: National Slotted Headstock Repair


Oof, right? Someone was using this with the tuner plate just bridging the gap of this damage! Due to the nature of this (funktastic, brutally-worn) resonator guitar, my repair will not be complicated and isn't intended to blend perfectly with the original headstock look. I'm just wanting to make it stable and practical and with a look that will fit-in with the rest of the dozens of old repairs and muck-up-repairs on the instrument.



Here I've cut the breaks to squared-off sections and cut and roughly-shaped a light-colored piece of rosewood to bridge the gap.


A bit of clamping fuss later and it's in-place and will be good to go for final shaping and drilling the tuner-shaft holes in the afternoon tomorrow.

Comments

Brandon McCoy said…
Beat to hell?! I sent you a message about this one!!!
Rob Gardner said…
Wow, I wish we could see the rest of the patient. It is wonderful to see a guitar come back from one disaster or another. That's why a visit to Jake's wonderland of repair is always a treat, and sorely missed during the pandemic. I split the headstock of a 30's national once drilling holes to replace the tuners. But I didn't fix it, I just sold it to the next guy...