1970s Yamaha (Taiwan-made) G-55 Classical Guitar

I've worked on so many old Yamaha G-55 guitars that I'm losing track of them. This is a Taiwan-made model from the mid-'70s, I'd gather. These are all-ply in the body and lightly-built, so they always sound good. Unlike a solid-top guitar, though, the voice is not as complex or full in the top-end, though it has lots of bass and mwah.

This one's trade/consignment but it's not worth enough to ship, so it's available in the shop for $200.

It has some previous repairs (a boutiquey charlatan charged my customer $100 to clamp-up a minor headstock crack and restring it -- which he called a "setup" with action at 5/32" at the 12th and high nut slots, sigh, sigh...) but I actually set it up to play at a standard quick classical 3/32" action height at the 12th fret and solved a minor hairline split in the bottom of the heel as well.














Comments

Frau Mustermann said…
Thank you for the portrait -- I have one that I bought used for 140 DM in 1975 or so and it is still in use without any repairs, though some fretwork is maybe necessary meanwhile. Its the instrument the made me pass the entrance exam... my teacher told me for some major progress a better (10.000 something...) instrument would a good investment. I focussed on playing sax and bass clarinet where you can buy even two or three top of the line instruments which really had good roi within few years. I recently tried to screen the market for a "pro" classical guitar but I am not sure where to start testing...