1977 Alvarez 5055 (Japan-made) "ADJ" Jumbo Guitar


This is one of two Alvarez 5055 models that a consignor sent-in to possibly sell/keep. He wound-up keeping this one because its Tune-O-Matic-style adjustable bridge gives it a quirky, brassy tone with a bit of a "ka-chunk" that he doesn't get with his other guitars. That bridge makes it a bit like the "ADJ" Gibson '60s models it apes.

That said, these old J-200-ripoff Alvarez models are very popular in the market these days. Their prices keep going up because they feel nice and sound good after some work has been put into them. Folks always fall in love with the look when they see them in the shop, too. They're gussied-up, just like the originals.

Still, the bodies are all-ply (spruce top, flamed maple back/sides) just like Yamaha guitars from the time. Lightweight bracing and excellent design are what let them sound as good as they do, though, and are also the reason they hold-up to the ravages of time so well.

Repairs included: a fret level/dress, minor mod to the bridge, and setup.

Setup notes: action is a spot-on fast 3/32" EA and 1/16" DGBE at the 12th fret, the truss rod works, the neck is straight, and string gauges are 54w-12.

Condition notes: it's entirely-original save for a replacement set of brass bridge pins and a little adjustment/mod of the original plastic individual saddles.













Comments

joe sorrentino said…
I miss my big boy..after 45 years I handed it down to my youngest son..he wanted something to remember dad..I traded a washburn 12 string and $100 for it in nashville in 1975..I loved the deep rich bass sound and vibrance..I loved that it wasn't a dinky tinny sounding wooden box and was a real man sized instrument..I would compare it to any gibson of the same size..a very beautiful guitar
Unknown said…
Jake, Thanks for all your shared info the other evening on selling my Alvarez 5055. I raised the price to $975.00 that evening and had a offer of $900.00 + $42.00 shipping the next morning. The buyer is a 2 hour drive away and I'll be delivering the guitar inperson. I also went to a local music store and got a box in case I needed to ship it. Thanks again. Dan