1970s Greco-style Japan-made Explorer-copy Electric Guitar

First, I just need to say, this is a rad guitar. It's actually more fun (I think) than the '70s Gibson Explorer repros I've played that it copycats. It's lightweight, has a full-tenon set neck, a big old '50s-style neck profile, and a clean, sweet, transparent tone. And it has an old '60s Bigsby on it.

I have no idea how it felt when it was original, though, as it's been extensively modded with new (and old) parts. It appears to maybe be a late-'70s Japanese-made Greco-or-similar (judging by the scratched-out headstock logo area) instrument. The body's a plank of solid mahogany and is cut pretty close to Gibson Explorer specs. The knob placement's slightly different, though, and the relationship with the pickups, bridge, and pickguard mounting is definitely not the same as an actual Gibson clone. It's close enough, though.

This arrived as a husk with a damaged headstock (along the tuner shaft holes) and only the studs for the bridge and (original) tailpiece extant on the body. The owner supplied Duncan Antiquity humbucker pickups, a couple of pickguards, the '60s Bigsby whammy, the Gotoh "aged" bridge, relic'd knobs, the cool "Custom Made" plate, and a truss rod cover. I supplied a new bone nut, Gotoh "aged" tuners, strap buttons, a wiring harness, and the work -- a fret level/dress and then a lot of fuss to fit it all together properly.

It was worth the work, though, because this thing feels like a champ, now. It takes a second to get used to the way it slinks, a little cat-like, in your lap... and the way the neck sticks-out way far, like an SG in another dimension... but once you get going on it I found it hard to stop.

This is the fourth or fifth time I've put Duncan Antiquities into a guitar and I'm really happy with the sound of them. They're clean and clear but not sterile at all.












Comments

Keidy said…
I have one I bought new in 78 never played it it’s brand new I wonder what it’s worth blue sunburst