1969 Gibson SG Electric Guitar

The owner of this guitar has had it since his teens -- his parents bought it for him used in the '70s. By then it'd had a couple refinish jobs on the body (and thankfully not on the neck) and it's remained in this browny-red, brushed-on-poly finish ever since. It's mostly hung-out in its case for a long time, though, and so a friend of the owner brought it in for him to get it "done-up" so it'd play right.

It didn't need much to get it going strong but it did need a new Vibrola whammy arm and -- guess what, folks? -- nickel or chrome-plated replacements are not to be found in the US of A this year. I had to order from Germany and so this poor guitar was relegated to repair-rack duty for nearly a month awaiting a new arm and Gotoh bridge (can we all agree that the original ABR-style bridges are useless? ...please agree... every time I encounter one I immediately want to replace it for all those rattling saddles).

That entire time it was waiting for bits, though, passers-by were peering at it behind the counter and wanting it. I find that old SGs elicit that reaction. If someone sees one in the shop -- and I mean anywhere in the shop -- it's like their bodies are drawn to it off an invisible thread. It's pretty funny to see over and over again.

After a fret level/dress, replacement parts, and a little setup adjustment, it was ready to go. I'm a fan of the taper on this neck -- it starts out thin/fast/modern at the nut and gets to about a "medium C" shape by the time it meets the body. One of my main complaints about a lot of modern SG and SG-style guitars is that the profile is consistently thin/fast throughout and that cramps my hand if I play too long. I like a little "pad" as I move up the neck, for sure.

Aside from the body finish and the bridge and whammy arm, it's otherwise all-original. The pickups on this thing sound sooooo good, too. They're that crisp/clean/bell-like Gibson humbucker sound. A lot of guitarists who pick on a bucker-equipped Gibson from this era are so confused when they try one out. They're expecting the dull, thuddy, fat, overly-warm modern bucker sound. These are almost like playing single coils. I love that.













Comments

daverepair said…
So nice! I really don't play electric much anymore, but I do like SGs. Probably because my idol Sister Rosetta Tharpe played a white Custom, and I figure, if only I get one of those...I'll sound just like her!
McComber said…
Amazing...even our 12 year old son, after seeing this very guitar in your shop, now ONLY wants an SG. Talk about allure.
Reese said…
SG pheromones light up our teenaged lizard brains, as teens and ever after. Even knowing what they feel and sound like, seeing one still ignites some kind of wiggliness.