1980s Daion Power Mark XX Electric Bass Guitar

My Daion-obsessed friend Rick owns this bass and it's part of his Daion collection. I'd remembered this one as needing some love and -- well -- it did. He dropped it off a little while ago and now that it's spruced-up it plays spot-on and fast. It's also a rugged, high-quality instrument and that much is obvious just at a glance.

It's got a neck-through build with a multi-piece, slim, sturdy neck. The body is sandwiched in layers as well and contoured and tummy-cut like crazy. The whole thing looks a bit like a fancy compound bow, Lotus-engineer design concept, or a high-end tennis racquet from yesteryear.

Yeah, it's cool. It's not my style, but it's very cool and I can appreciate the work that went into it. I just don't do the tight waist and long horn thing all that well.

These were made in Japan by Yamaki for the brand, as far as I know.

Repairs included: fret level dress, new jack, repair to the 3-way switch, slight alteration to the saddles, cleaning, and setup. I also threw-on a parts-bin set of older strings, too, as the ones on it were spent.


Body wood: multi-piece ash/rosewood

Bridge: heavy-duty adjustable (brass)

Fretboard: rosewood

Neck wood: maple/mixed

Pickups: 1x PBass-style, 1x JBass-style


Action height at 12th fret: 3/32” bass 1/16” treble (fast, spot-on)
String gauges: feels like 105w-45w

Neck shape: slim C

Board radius: ~14"

Truss rod: adjustable

Neck relief: straight

Fret style: jumbo


Scale length: 34"


Condition notes: it's actually in good shape and doesn't have much wear and tear on it for its age. Minor electronics are replacements but otherwise it's all-original.













Comments

Focus Pinky said…
Hi mate. Is that tummy cut original or after market? I have never seen one with that much taken out of it.
Cheers Craig
fucimin said…
Hi, being a lucky Daion Power Mark XX-B owner (near 40 yrs that I play that beauty!), I can tell you that it's the original shape, no cuts added after market.
I can imagine that that cut was engineered for those (like me) that love playing the bass guitar next to the ribs, in a high position, so you don't suffer from hard edges to your bones.
I feel that keeping the bass body pressed to the rib cage, the bass guitar's sound is warmer.
Regards. Carlo from Italy