1927 Martin 00-18 Flattop Guitar



I live a charmed life when a '27 00-18 isn't the most amazing thing in the shop at the moment (it was stablemating a 1917 12-string banjo-guitar, folks). But, let's face it -- these are pretty amazing guitars. This one is shockingly-intact and I say that because they're so lightly-built to begin-with that these instruments tend to destroy themselves over time with anything but the lightest string gauges. Considering that this one has been slugging it out with 12s on it for years while it's traveled the world via plane, train, automobile, and hoof... I must say that I'm just surprised at its condition.

At any rate, it was only here for a level/dress of the frets and a new (lower) saddle. I was happy to do it, though, as I don't get to see too many of these  It'd already been done-up by another shop years ago -- neck reset, replacement ebony bridge, new bridge plate, tall (uncompensated) saddle, crack repairs, the works. The finish is funky and shows lots of heat-damage and wear and tear from a life well-lived. The top also definitely has some pretty wonky belly right under and behind it as you'd expect (well, as I'd expect -- I've never seen a surviving Martin from this time without it).

It's now playing happily and in tune again. I'm hoping that the guitar gets a bit of rest from traveling-about, though. It had a good, tall saddle on it when it came in -- though the action was quite high. That's now been replaced with one peeking over the top of the bridge by less than 1/16" and that means -- from my point of view -- that if the geometry continues on the same path that it's been moving on, it may need another reset at some point. I'll cross my fingers, though.

The usual specs apply for an 18 of this time -- 00-size body, 24 7/8" (~24.9") scale length, wider nut, spruce over mahogany, rosewood binding, super-thin and super-scalloped x-bracing. It's also feather-light.














Comments