1950s Scholer (East German) D/A Concertina

First of all -- this one is in the rarer keys of D/A rather than the more-common C/G. As I recall the "front" row is D and the "back" is A. It also has the very-cool red celluloid ends which give it a smart look.

I bought this from a button-box repairman two or three years ago with the intention of playing it with our jam group, using it for recording, and taking it out on walks and camping trips. I've done the last bit of that now and then, but it's sad to see a nice instrument sit around 360+ days of the year without a caress. I've mostly been playing bass, electric guitar, or mandolin with other musicians, so this poor gal has been neglected.

I paid a premium for its coming from a respectable shop and I'm glad I did because it plays in tune, has nice, tight bellows, and it feels great to play. These old Scholers are pretty mass-market as far as concertinas go, but it's definitely at its best at the moment. I think the repairman also added new, embossed leather straps and re-taped the edges of the bellows, too.

I bought a gigbag for it right after I purchased it and it's protective and comfortable to sling on the shoulders.






Comments