1969 Guild F-112 000-Size 12-String Guitar

This old Hoboken-made Guild is pure war-horse. It's owned by a newly-local but it's been in his family for a long time. I think it's his Dad's and he and his brother (as I recall) played it as a 6-string when they were younger. Poor kids... a lot of bracing had detached and it was not at all in a healthy state when it arrived.

Work was mildly-extensive -- it got a ton of bracing reglued, a neck reset, fret level/dress, bridge reglue, new fully-compensated bone saddle, replacement (parts-bin) pins, crack cleats added all over, crack seal-up work, seam repairs, and setup.

The owner says he strums his 12-strings so I went ahead and strung it the way I like them -- light and easy for that Tom Petty jingle-jangle strumming with a floppy pick. Gauges on it are 22w/46w, 14/36w, 11/26w, 8/18w, 13/13, 10/10 low to high. That's close to regular "extra light" 12-string gauges but if you compare them, my octave-up strings and the wound G relieve about 10-15 lbs of tension overall. It feels more like playing a 6-string with these.

Anyhow, I love Hoboken Guilds. They're tasty. This one's mostly original save my replacement bits and a set of older non-original (equally poor, but functional) tuners. I'd love to see a double set of Kluson-style 6-in-lines on it but they're not necessary.

Wood is solid spruce over solid mahogany, a mahogany neck, and rosewood fretboard and bridge. Note the double truss rods -- a Guild staple in 12-string design -- a very useful feature if you like to string heavy.












Comments