1989 Peavey Patriot Electric Guitar

A local customer brought this in for resale and he'd already done some good work to it before it got here -- it had already received a good level/dress of the frets, a new humbucker pickup, and new wiring harness. All I had to do was set it up.

First impressions? This guitar is great despite its simplicity. I remember liking T-15 and T-60 necks "back in the day" as I've owned them now and then, but I'd always sold them on because they were simply too heavy as a package. US-made Peavey necks from the '80s and '90s are made like G&L necks -- two pieces of maple glued together -- and this makes them more stable and rugged compared to a one-piece neck. 

This neck is certainly spot-on in performance and feels roughly comparable to a Strat neck from the time.

The body shape and styling is straight out of the '80s -- a matte/satin black finish with SuperStrat shaping and a mildly-offset waist. There's no pickguard, too, but at least the hardware was kept "classic" with a chrome finish rather than era-retro black as I might expect (and roll my eyes at)

When I checked pricing on these US-made Peaveys I was shocked at how they basically haven't appreciated at all since I was in high school. What gives? I suppose it's the brand. The quality is intrinsic so I just don't get it, though -- new and inferior parts would assemble a not-so-hot Squier . It's possible I might just buy this for myself if it sticks around -- the neck alone is worth the entry value these days and it's Gibson-style short 24 3/4" scale.

Repairs included: cleaning, setup.


Body wood: unknown

Bridge: adjustable Strat-style

Fretboard: maple

Neck wood: maple (2-piece)

Pickups: 1x humbucker


Action height at 12th fret: 1/16" overall (fast)
String gauges: 46w-10

Neck shape: medium C

Board radius: ~12"

Truss rod: adjustable

Neck relief: straight

Fret style: medium-bigger


Scale length: 24 3/4"

Nut width: 1 5/8"

Body width: 12 1/2"

Body depth: 1 5/8"

Weight: 6 lbs 11 oz


Condition notes: it's in good order but the pickup and wiring harness are replacements. The body has numerous scratches and small handling-wear throughout but it's not really obvious from any distance. There's a little bit of playwear that's worn through the finish on the fretboard and discolored it here and there in tiny spots.













Comments