1969 Harmony H162 000-Size Guitar

Harmony H162 models are everywhere. At least, when I used to be buying a lot, they seem like they're tucked in about half the closets in the world. I stopped buying them pretty early-on, though, because so many of them wound-up having warped or twisted necks that made a board plane and refret a must to get them playing well... plus a neck reset and bridge work. That's just... a lot of labor for a $300 guitar.

This one was brought to me by a fella getting it fixed for his bandmate. I was at first a little leery until I saw it was a later version with a truss rod. Unfortunately, someone snapped the truss rod's threaded end and nut right off. Fortunately, at tension, the neck is still straight -- so that seized-up rod is still functioning, at least, as a non-adjustable truss. That's still useful!

Work included the usual -- a neck reset, fret level/dress, side dots added, and a saddle slot recut plus oversize ebony saddle install (to correct intonation). It's now playing fast and easy and is good to go. It'll get a K&K pickup before it leaves, but I just wanted to share because... this thing sounds so good. Most H162s do not do what this one does. It's a winner -- though I don't know if I can ever feel quite at home on the 25 1/8" Harmony scale or with its chunky "medium-hefty" neck profile.

Build-wise it's got solid spruce (ladder-braced) in the top, solid mahogany back and sides, a poplar neck, and rosewood board and bridge. It's original save the bridge pins (my own replacements), saddle, and truss rod cover (one I cut from an old pickguard for fun).












Comments