1916 Gibson F-2 Carved-Top Mandolin


Update 2023: I've updated all the photos and video...

This guy came back for consignment recently (I'd worked on it just for repairs previously), so I've since set it all up to go as a player's instrument. The last time I worked on it I was super happy with how it turned-out and this time around I'm just as pleased that it's remained stable and good to go.

It's a fairly clean example of an F-2 from the period and all-original save the bridge (which comes with it), though it does have a couple of little hairline cracks -- one on the top near the bottom "point" and one on the back near the top "point." They're repaired. I'd previously leveled/dressed the frets and set it all up and this time around I just needed to reglue some minor seam separations. In addition, I fit the original pickguard back on (it was a chore to stabilize it and replace the mounting arm as it has celluloid rot) and added a modified ebony adjustable bridge so it's easy to setup on the fly when you get to a jam or a gig.

It's currently wearing a set of 36w-10 but there's no top sinking or other structural alarms, so a player who really needs 40w-11 will be able to rock those just fine. There's no need, though, as this is loud, punchy, cutting, and woody-sweet just as it stands. It can do a retro flavor of bluegrass in a pinch but it's perhaps better suited to old-time plinking or Celtic-style work. It does have a nice "chop," though!

Extras include the gorgeous Handel tuners, really iridescent pearl dots and inlay used in the board and headstock veneer, and nice aging to the tailpiece cover.

It's ready to go and playing spot-on. Do keep in mind it has the original fretwire which is low and small per its style from the factory. If you like modern stuff, have me refret it. I like this just swell but it's not for everyone.

Repairs included: fret level dress, setup, etc.


Top wood: solid spruce (carved)

Back & sides wood: solid birch (carved, figured)

Bracing type: one ladder

Bridge: replacement ebony adjustable (original in case)

Fretboard: ebony

Neck wood: mahogany

Action height at 12th fret:
hair under 1/16" (fast!)
String gauges: 36w-10 lights

Neck shape: medium V

Board radius: flat

Neck relief: straight

Fret style: low/small


Scale length: 13 7/8"

Nut width: 1 3/16"

Body width: 10 1/8"

Body depth: 2" + arching

Weight: 2 lbs 1 oz


Condition notes: there are two hairline cracks (repaired) -- one on the top near the bottom point and one on the back near the upper point. Both are small. There's various light scratching in the finish but overall it looks gorgeous. I've taken a photo of under the pickguard to show the light scratching found under there. The original pickguard has celluloid rot damage and I've repaired it as best as I can and added a new mounting arm for it. It works! The original bridge is adjusted for proper action height and is included in the case, though I did add the adjustable bridge for functionality as a playing instrument. All of the hardware is original as it sits (save mounting arm for the pickguard and the bridge) and structurally it's sound and good to go.


It comes with: its original hard case.


































Comments

Claude said…
Good grief, is that ever well preserved!It's one of the best examples I've ever seen, and it sounds great too.
resonator guy said…
Is that really mine or am I in shock! Jake it sounds and looks incredible, remember I only had it a few days before i sent it to you!