2018 Gold Tone LN Custom Longneck 5-String Banjo

It's not often I see modern longneck banjos in the shop. This Gold Tone is still pretty young but it's beautifully-built and packed with a lot of the features that made the old Vega longnecks so excellent for blending with folkie guitarists. It's got the long, 32" scale that tunes down to E... a Tubaphone-style tonering under the hood... and sturdy hardware. The neck is straight and stable, has nice frets, and maple binding. It's even got "railroad spike" capos for the 3 (G), 5 (A), and 7 (B) positions on the 5th string.

It's designated "LN Custom" on its interior-rim label and the serial number points to 2018 manufacture. It was originally sold as a "blem" model because there's a little finish crack on the back of the heel (no, it's not a real crack) along with some discolored dots of un-stained finish. I'm guessing this guy got a bump right in that spot in the curing room after the first spray or something. Oops!

My work was just to restring, compensate the bridge, and set it up -- it was otherwise clean and playing ok when it arrived. I've used heavier strings (11s) with chenilled ends which cut down unwanted overtones behind the bridge.

Repairs included: setup, restring, adjustments.


Rim wood: maple

Tonering: Tubaphone-style

Bridge: ebony/maple compensated

Fretboard: ebony

Neck wood: maple


Action height at 12th fret: 1/16" (capo on 3 for G) or hair-below 3/32" open
String gauges: 11s

Neck shape: medium C

Board radius: flat

Truss rod: adjustable

Neck relief: straight

Fret style: medium with zero fret


Scale length: 32"

Nut width: 1 3/16"

Head diameter: 11”

Depth overall at rim: 3"

Weight: 7 lbs 12 oz


Condition notes: it's quite clean save the factory blem on the bottom-back of the heel. The frets are good, it's all-original throughout, and it's ready to go. A dual coordinator rod system also makes it easy to setup on the fly per the player's changing tastes.


It comes with: an original TKL hard case.























Comments

Hi Jake, just wanted to point out that the ad for this reads it's a Tubaphone tone ring but it's a Whyte Laydie style ring...as I know you know, totally honest typo as you're working harder than most luthiers I've known about. It's the only production long neck with a Whyte Laydie ring...a selling point...cheers!
Jake Wildwood said…
Thanks Mark! Yes sounds like time to update my script, haha. So much gear has been flooding in this year it's hard to keep up...
Unknown said…
Hi. It's a beauty, and I seek a LN model. I saw that comment about the to be ring, confirming my observation. I really appreciate having the opportunity to listen to its tone, but was frustrated that the right hand did not position itself where Scruggs style goes. And the performer does not play with the authority needed to demonstrate all its tonal potential. Why not record the demo, but really attack it. Or I'm just gonna have to drive up to Titusville, which I was planning on anyway. Thanks. - Jeff / Miami
Unknown said…
Oops! I thought this was a ad from the Gold Tone plant in FL. My bad. So, now I really need to hear it. One last thing. I did not see a price. Thanks. - Jeff / Miami