1990s The Dulcimer Factory Mountain Dulcimer

I was gifted this dulcimer and as a result I've restrung it, set it up, and regifted it to the first fella who said he wanted it. It's now out in the world with a family that's making sweet nothings with it. Yes! A good outcome...

It's well-made with a multi-piece "fretboard" and a body that's solid mahogany throughout. The tuners leave a bit to be desired and the intonation is not spot-on but it plays fine and sounds decently in-tune with itself which is more than we can usually ask for most dulcimers.

The soundhole label told me it was made by The Dulcimer Factory in Fredericksburg, Texas and a little snooping around the net tells me that means it's likely an early-'90s instrument.






Comments

IanR said…
Hi. My name is Ian. I was just handed a dulcimer similar to the one in this blog post by my coworker. Hes having trouble restringing the instrument and me being a guitar player, he thought I could give it a whirl. I ran into some trouble restringing it myself. I bought some loop end strings from folkcraft and the .23 Guage bass string doesn't seem to sit snugly into the nut. Also the loop ends are too small for the wooden dowels. Any advice on what strings to buy?