1944 Gibson L-00 Flattop Guitar

While this beaut has a factory order number, it's not one that points to a specific year of manufacture. Judging by the non-truss-rod, maple-insert-reinforcement neck, though, I think that suggests a '43 or '44 build, no? I'm rooting for '44, myself.

In any case, it's a well-traveled guitar with plenty of scratches, nicks, and dings but only the back suffers for cracks, really. This was sent-in for repair some time back and I just finished it a few days ago. It's since been settling-in nicely (its setup hasn't budged) and I'm betting the owner will want to have this sucker back pronto

L-00s are sought-after guitars and while the early-to-mid '30s models are the most popular, these '40s L-00s are just as good -- if slightly different. They sound a little more LG-2-like to my ears, with a distinctly-delicious lower-mids response, velvety "extra" compared to the straight-up-loud, midsy, punchy earlier versions.

Work on this guy included a neck reset, crack repairs/re-repairs to the back, a fret level/dress, bridge reglue, replacement pins and tuner buttons, and a good setup. It's now playing like a fiend and is ready to go.



















Comments

Elbert said…
I have two 1943's, a LG-2 and J-45, both have laminate necks with no trussrods. I also have a '44 black L-00 Banner head which does not have a trussrod.