1950s Vega Baritone Ukulele

Vega baritone ukuleles like this guy fall somewhere between a Favilla level of quality and a Martin level, but are much more firmly close to the Favilla mark. You can hear in the video that this thing sounds great, though -- it's got good sustain and a sweet, round sound.

It's got a typical-ish 19 1/8" scale length, solid mahogany build throughout, rosewood fretboard and bridge, and synthetic nut and saddle. If I had to guess I'd say this is mid-'50s or later.

It's a customer's instrument and was just here for repairs -- which it got, including a neck reset, fret level/dress, side dots install, saddle adjustment, and a set of new geared Gotoh pegs for the headstock. Who likes friction pegs? I don't. I used to pretend about 10 years ago that I thought they were fine, but I've become a much lazier player these days and now abhor them. The Gotohs keep my ukes in tune all year long around the house...









Comments

willdrum said…
Great sound Jake and great playing. Do you recall what strings were on it ?
Cheers
Willie