Roll Call: 1930s Easy-Bake Electrified Hawaiian Guitar

This '30s-era weirdo of a "parlor" guitar is a Richter-made instrument that was painted, apparently, in the '60s. I was given it years ago by a customer of mine but never had a use for it (the Richter necks warp as soon as you tune them up to pitch, so...) until my friend Rick asked me to whip-up something quick ("You know, an electric Dobro guitar thingy...") for a long-term buddy of his who was coming through town on tour... in 12 hours.

Quick work thus included double-bolting the neck back to the body, a creative tailpiece addition, new ebony bridge, pickup and wiring harness install, extender nut added from my parts-bins, and fit of a Dobro-style, face-up strap system.

It turned-out really cool despite its psychedelic down-hominess. I think it left here tuned to open E while wearing 50w-11 electric strings.






Comments