1982 Daion The '82 Jumbo Guitar

My friend Rick owns a pair of these relatively-rare, Japanese-made guitars (click here to hear one) but this one was brought-in by my other buddy Michael, who consigns a lot of fantastic guitars with me. He's always on the hunt for "the perfect jumbo" and I think he's pretty smitten with this one. I mean, I'm always smitten with these! They're sort-of their own thing more than a lot of '80s flattops are -- and you'll either like the style or you won't.

The reverse "redburst" finish on these "The '82" model guitars is a cool thing and the trim is all top-notch stuff -- multi-ply purflings, maple binding, brass fretboard inlay (plus brass nut and saddle), you name it. They're well-built and always have a sort-of aggressive, full sound to them that's tempered by the cedar top which is pretty responsive but also very open-sounding in the Daions. It's a woody sound that apes a Martin palette, for sure, but differently. I'll just say -- a lot of people who own Daions don't give them up. They're good stuff.

Anyhow, I figured I'd snag pics of this one because it's in such good shape save for a bit of a bump-crack on the upper-bout, bass-side, top.

Materials are: x-braced solid cedar top, ply (I believe) rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard and bridge.














Comments