1909 Gibson F-2 Carved-Top Mandolin

My friend Rick has brought this mandolin in a few times just for a looksie, but this time he wanted to get a K&K pickup installed as well so he can use it out in the real world. I also took the opportunity to make him a second (lower) ebony bridge as the action had crept-up something awful. Now he has a "winter" and a "summer" bridge so he can keep it adjusted for good playability. Carved-top instruments often move a bit season to season just like flattop guitars. That's why so many archtop mandolins have adjustable bridges.

Anyhow, it's a gorgeous old 1909 F-2 and it has the Handel tuners, extra points, and black finish just like you'd want. I think this body shape is extremely handsome, myself, and the details on the scroll carving are just that much better and more nuanced than latter-era F-style instruments.

I know he's got the tailpiece cover somewhere (see: older photos of this instrument), so aside from the replacement bridge that's now on it, it's also entirely original.

So -- yes -- I also took advantage of its being here to snag some proper photos.















Comments

McComber said…
Ahh, I have heard of this beauty but never have been able to get a glimpse, until now.... thanks for all of the yummy pictures.