1978 Fender Musicmaster Electric Bass Guitar

I'm a sucker for Musicmaster basses, so even though this was only in the shop for about 20 minutes of setup work, I still asked the owner if I could take a few shots. Who doesn't like a white Musicmaster, afterall?

Post-setup, it plays like a champ, of course, and has that nice, cozy feel you get from a Fender short scale with their generously-tapering neck profile and steep board radius. This one appears to be all-original as well.

During setup I did alter the saddles a bit by bending the adjuster screws so that the saddles would "tilt" into proper compensation for the strings. Normally, because this is just a two-saddle setup (like the retro barrel saddles on a Telecaster), intonation will be out pretty dramatically up the neck for 2 of the 4 strings. This solves that in an inexpensive, not-bad-looking way.

The new strings we put on are a set of DR Sunbeams -- 95w-40w or so -- I like 'em light myself and it's given this bass a springier, more-joyful feel (it had like 105w or something on it before).










Comments