1980s Epiphone Genesis Double-Cut LP-Style Electric Guitar

This model of Japanese-made, good-quality Epiphone came out in '79 and so it's likely that this is an early-'80s instrument. It's clearly been played (look how much has been worn through the color coat by pickwear) and has signs of rough handling (it has an old headstock repair).

Features include two volume controls, a coil split mini-switch, and a master tone control. The tuners are good, sealed units and the pickups are both clean and bright and also full of some velvety low-end. It has a set neck and a body shape in the vein of a Les Paul if it had a cutaway mirrored to the bass side of the body as well. The top is arched and it has nice, multi-ply binding and fancier inlays.

It plays quick and easy -- rather like a '70s Gibson neck -- and it's remained stable in service as long as it's been here awaiting work. Said work was on the simple side -- I leveled/dressed the frets and replaced all of the wiring harness except for the mini switch and the selector switch. The rest of the harness had been soldered and resoldered a bit too much and both some of the components were damaged and undoing so much wonky wiring was certainly not worth the effort compared to just replacing the bad bits and wiring cleanly.











Comments

will said…
wow, that's a blast from the past! I had of these when I was in my first band circa 81. I'm a lefty so I played it flipped but I recall this was a boat anchor. Traded it in as part of a down on my first real lefty sg!