1920s Paramount (Lange) Style F Resonator Tenor Banjo

The Style F is the creme-de-la-creme of Lange's Paramount line of banjos and features absurd amounts of engraved, gold-plated hardware, ridiculously-engraved pearl inlays, and tons of carving details throughout the neck and heel. It's gorgeous and I'm incredibly jealous of the owner. I have a "thing" for old Paramount and Orpheum tenors even if I don't play them myself very often and this ticks all the boxes, right down to its "aged-in" gold plating which is a look I really do like. I'm not a big fan of "new gold" but I do like "properly aged gold." It's like fading beauty, right? Ah, obsessions.

This guy got a fret level/dress and setup and was then back up and running for its owner, sounding like an absolute champ. Like I said -- I'm jealous. I would never have a regular enough gig playing tenor banjo to own something like this, but I'm jealous nonetheless.

Per the usual, it has an interesting archtop-style rim design with a tonering sitting on brads fit to a long skirt -- the usual Paramount stuff. This gives it a sweet, relaxed tone that's not piercing like a high-end Bacon, but is rather a sort of "breathy" or "poppy" tone that really suits chord and chord-melody playing.

For reference, check this blog post on a Paramount Aristocrat to hear what I'm talking about -- it has a vid.





















Comments