1940s Gibson L-50 (Mahogany Top) Archtop Guitar

This guitar messed with my mind as soon as I saw it. I fully-expected it to be an early-'50s ply-top L-48 that got a little extra special sauce in the decorating department (L-50 neck trim). Upon closer inspection, though, it's got a solid mahogany top and postwar, '40s Kluson tuners, and so this is in truth an L-50 that was fit with a mahogany (rather than spruce) top. It sounds and looks carved, too, which is all the better!

It was in for a fret level/dress and re-repair of a side crack that was not-so-well repaired in the past. The owner (it was his Dad's guitar) brought it in without a case, so I dug-around until I could find a gigbag that fit it well enough for storage and gave it to him. It's such an interesting guitar (and in rather great shape, all things considered) that I would hate to see it get abused from being bumped-around the house.

Right, so -- it has the "magic neck" of those '40s/'50s Gibsons and it sounds, plays, and looks stellar. Not much more to say! If you like "chunk" in your chord-chops, it's hard to go wrong with an old Gibson archtop.















Comments