1959 Vicente Tatay Fretless Classical Guitar

A consignor brought this Spanish-made guitar in with a herd of others for sale -- uncased, and with all of its frets missing. I figured it was a wonderful opportunity to make another fretless classical guitar (I've done a few), which is a thing that's a bit popular these days, especially in regions where ouds intermingle with guitar culture.

Anyhow, this is an old Vicente Tatay box made in '59 per the stamp inside. It's spruce over mahogany, lightly-built, and sounds great on its own. My guy Ancel did a really nice job on the conversion of the fretboard (our secret trick for this is to use yogurt container plastic for the lines...) and he even speed-necked the back of the neck to make it feel worn-in and ready.

This got snapped-up by a local buyer right away so I didn't even get measurements, but as I recall it was a fairly normal size and scale but with as lightly thinner depth. The scale was maybe 25 3/4" or so? I also added a single-sensor K&K pickup with a jack out the side for the new owner(s). I can already tell it's going to get a lot of good studio use!



















Comments

McComber said…
I’ve added this recording that you’ve made to my Özgür Baba listening, to wash off the stress and hardness of the world. This is a beautiful idea for a guitar, well done and played. I’ll have to have this done to my old fg75.