1924 Weymann Style 25 Banjo-Mandolin

This "cutesy-pie" version of a Weymann banjo-mandolin with its longer neck and smaller rim is one of the more desirable versions as it's... you know... "cutesy-pie!" This example is very clean and entirely original save for the bridge.

We dialed-it in and got it playing spot-on and it's ready to roll. These Weymann are built tough and hold-up beautifully to daily use and travel.

Repairs included: a fret level/dress, replacement bridge with compensation, and setup.


Weight: 3 lbs 9 oz

Scale length: 14"

Nut width: 1 1/8

Neck shape: medium V

Board radius: flat

Head diameter: 7"

Depth overall at rim: 2 3/8"


Rim wood: ply maple

Tonering: simple hoop

Bridge: 2-foot Grover-style

Fretboard: ebonized

Neck wood: maple


Action height at 12th fret: 1/16" overall (fast, spot-on)
String gauges: 32w-9

Neck relief: straight

Fret style: small/narrow


Condition notes: it's quite clean and all-original throughout save for the replacement bridge. There's the usual weather-checking to the finish here and there and minor usewear but overall it's nice and clean.


It comes with: a violin case that fits it well-enough for travel.















Comments

Bob said…
I've discovered that an old Frisbee fits the back of my Firefly banjo-uke just right as a pseudo-resonator. I wonder if the same technique can keep this Weymann neck-adjuster's prominent steel bolt from becoming a "naval destroyer"? Alas, the diameter of that pot and the arch of the steel bar may be both too little and too much for the Frisbee approach... But maybe there's a Tupperware pie-carrier that would do the job. :-)
But seriously, if I didn't have my "Lloyd Loar era" Gibson MB-Jr mandolin banjo, I'd probably grab this one and wrap an old piece of sheepskin (with the wool still on it) around the metal works. If I finally get up to Vermont, I may have the Gibson along with me for trade or consignment possibilities.
Bob said…
Oops. I meant "navel destroyer."
Truly said…
Finally.. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful Weymann banjo mand 25. I have just purchased my own which almost a twin of yours. I have to do a couple of little fixes but all is original too. My serial number places mine in 1922 and you can find yours on the top edge of head stock. Thanks again for sharing.