2015 Rainsong APLE Al Petteway 12-Fret 000-Size Carbon Fiber Guitar


I've known this guitar for a while and every time I see it, it's been stable and in good order. It was no different this time when he brought it back for sale. He'd been using it as his main, go-to gigging guitar since he bought it some time back and it's served him well, but he's not gigging anymore, really, so he's downsizing.

My main complaint with carbon fiber guitars is the look more than the tone -- I'm a longtime Ovation fan (yes, curse me, you devils, curse me!) so I think "good tone" is whatever suits you with whatever you bond with. I think -- just like with wood guitars -- there are terrible carbon guitars and wonderful ones -- for you or for me.

At any rate, my complaint is usually that they're just not fun enough and that they tend to look a little too Darth Vader or SR-71. I know that's someone's style, but dang -- how could you not like a metallic orange-brownburst? It's like someone stole a page from Danelectro's finish book circa 1958 and then brought it forward into '60s Fender surf land and then applied it to an acoustic. I like.

Feel, handling, stability -- yes, yes, yes, it has it all. It's quick and easy and feels nicely-compact due to the 12-fret neck joint and Martin-like short scale length.

Did I mention this is the first version of the Al Petteway model? That's why it's an AP Limited Edition (APLE) model. This was supposed to have only been made in a small batch, but shortly-after this version's run it became a standard model in the Rainsong line.

Repairs included: a quick setup.


Top wood: carbon fiber

Back & sides wood: carbon fiber

Bracing type: hybrid

Bridge: carbon fiber

Fretboard: composite

Neck wood: carbon fiber

Action height at 12th fret:
3/32” bass 1/16” treble (fast, spot-on)
String gauges: 54w-12 lights

Neck shape: medium C

Board radius: 14"

Truss rod: adjustable

Neck relief: straight

Fret style: medium


Scale length: 24 7/8"

Nut width: 1 23/32"

Body width: 15 1/4"

Body depth: 4 1/8"

Weight: 4 lbs 1 oz


Condition notes: it's been babied and cared-for and is pretty dang clean but this was the owner's main guitar since he bought it a while back and it has a few scratches on the side (pictured) and a little bit of usewear in the body. A "cling-style" clear pickguard was used for most of its life and is in the case if it's desired.


It comes with: a very nice TKL hard case.




















Comments

Craftydad said…
Price??? They closed down their business if case u didn’t know.