2010s Mule No 431 Tricone Resonator Guitar

My pal Mike Brown invested in this cool Mule sometime back so it could be a summer workhorse... or... workmule? This is Mule number 413 and I imagine it was made 5 or more years ago considering the serial numbers they're at these days. This uses an older-style tailpiece, too.

It needed some going-through to get it playing its best and Ancel and I tag-teamed it -- he leveled/dressed the frets and I opened it up, wired the magnetic pickup to a convenient jack location, tightened-up the internals, seated and tacked-down the cones and bridge, compensated the saddle, and set it up a little better for its current, lefty configuration.

What's most interesting about this instrument is that it's a tricone guitar rather than the single-cone it looks like at a glance. Under the hood is the usual tricone configuration with three ~6" cones and a T-bridge. Combined with the steel body, this gives the instrument a haunting, lingering, "big metal boat" kind of tone with a lot of sustain and presence.

The finish is nicely "aged" to begin-with so it has a friendly, lived-in character right from the get-go. This neck is early enough to not have an adjustable truss rod (as far as I can tell) and it has a nice, understated look to it.


















Here's an under-the-hood view of the cones. Note that I used some duct-tape to both seat the cones and the bridge so they would stay-put (and keep the saddle in its place for proper intonation) while on tour. I absolutely do not trust simple tension to hold things in place in resonator guitars and I have no idea why every single builder of resonator guitars does not address this problem when they're putting them together.

Comments

Dave said…
I have a year old Mule that I love. The builder(Matt Eich) issued a very specific warning to not touch the truss rod as it's reverse threaded. He warns that it will void the warranty and whoever does so will not be happy. I'm not sure about these older models, so it's good that it remains untouched, if it even is in there.
Jake Wildwood said…
Dave: That sounds like maybe he should just build the necks non-adjustable then? That's how I would do it if I were building new guitars... I hate adjustable rods, the squirrely devils.
Dave said…
I'm not going to give him advice on neck building. He was a neck builder at Huss & Dalton for years.
Jake Wildwood said…
Dave: oh, I don't think he doesn't know how to build a good neck -- I just think it's silly to outlaw use of an adjustable truss just because he's worried folks who don't understand them will use them... :D ...he has a nice writeup on his site about how rods work which is something I should print out because I have to explain rods to someone at least once a day.