1910s Calvert Parker "Bandola" Flatback Teardrop Mandolin

This is the second one of these Calvert Parker (he was active in Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire during the 1900s-1920s) mandolins that I've had the chance to log into the blog. The first one was a bound-board, later model (click here). Farther back in time, I actually had an exploded one of these that I wound-up, as I recall, stripping for parts and bits to use on other instruments as it was too far gone.

Suffice to say, after a bit of suffering on Ancel's part repairing a damaged fretboard, cleating cracks, and doing some fretwork and a milder amount of suffering on my part during setup and final adjustments, it now plays spot-on and is ship-shape and ready to go.

It has a stupid amount of fret access, an endearing pint-sized shape, clean aesthetic, and a bowlback-like, clean sound as well. It's solid spruce over solid birch, has a mahogany neck, and ebonized-maple (or the like) fretboard and bridge.










Comments

Nick R said…
When I have looked at these mandolins it has struck me that they appear to have various neck types that look an awful lot like other makers' necks. This example appears to have the same neck as on your 1905 Oscar Schmidt "flat bowl" and exactly the same tuners as well.
Jake Wildwood said…
Fascinating idea, but I think it's happy coincidence in this case as the construction, fit, and finish is far beyond the average Schmidt -- even the nice ones.

The headstock shape is similar to the OS but it's also similar to a bunch of other makes that borrowed that shape from Italian instruments made at the same time. The tuners are not that surprising as they were a popular type at the time.
Nick R said…
I was just wondering if he made the instrument except for the necks as they seemed to be typical of other makers at that time. Anyway, I am glad this came together as the top did appear to have sunk quite a bit before you guys worked your magic.