1978 Hohner HG-12 Electrified Dreadnought 12-String Guitar

This delightful weirdo started-off as a cheap pity-purchase guitar. It needed a neck reset and "the usual stuff." I gave it the neck reset and the level/dress of the frets it most-severely needed and then did the extra to make it interesting.

First of all, I fit a tailpiece to it (it's a salvaged tenor guitar tailpiece with holes drilled to mount the 12-string format) and then cut a wide, fully-compensated rosewood saddle to fit into the old "adjustable saddle" bridge slot. It's compensated for electric 12-string gauges which use a plain G for the lower octave of the G course. Currently it's wearing gauges 42w-9 in nickel. The bridge holes for the pins were filled and I used the old adjustable saddle -- flipped upside-down -- as a "downpressure bar" or "string tree" to give a little more break-angle over the saddle itself with the strings.

Next-up, I installed a traditional-style, Alnico-poles, Strat pickup. I'm pretty sure it's a GFS model? I then wired that to a simple volume control and output jack, with grounding at the tailpiece.

The resulting acoustic-electric plays really fast after all the work, is fun to strum on or point a mic at for acoustic work, but also sounds jangly and rich plugged into an electric amp. It reminds me a lot of the sound of a magnetic pickup in a Greek bouzouki's soundhole (as is popular) on the DGBE courses -- or maybe like the electric sound often heard from Cuban tresoros.

The guitar itself is Korean-made, late '70s, all-ply throughout, and the stamps inside suggest '78 manufacture.

Full specs and measurements soon!















Comments

Eli said…
Electronics aside, how much would you say the conversion to trapeze tailpiece changes this thing's sound? I like the Framus Hootenany 12-string sound, which I think is trapeze tailpiece plus floating bridge, but I'm not sure how much of that comes down to the bridge/tailpiece design or other factors. Any thoughts?