1981 Fender USA B-34 Bullet Deluxe Electric Bass Guitar

This is a Fullerton-made Bullet Bass Deluxe with the long, 34" scale length. A similar model, the B-30, was made at the same time with a short, 30" scale, though most of what I see are like this guy. It's more or less a P-Bass but has a Mustang Bass pickup, a slightly-shortened body length with a different upper horn, 1 5/8" body depth vs. 1 3/4" depth, and a cool "Tele bass" headstock shape reminiscent of the earliest P-Bass designs.

Let's be blunt: it's cool! The neck is very fast (thinner front to back) and has a retro-feeling, 7 1/4" radius to the board. To me I feel right at home as I've played P-Basses on and off for the last couple decades. I've always liked these early, US-made Bullet Basses as they're high-quality in build and have such a robust, good feel and a reliable design. I set this bass up maybe a decade (or more) ago and it's been holding-pat ever since.

The pickups, like a Mustang Bass, punch a hair more in the mids and need a little extra goosing of the lows at the amp to bring them out to perfect deliciousness. I'm a pretty traditional-sounding bassist, though, so I tend to bump my lows a bunch...

Repairs included: a fret level/dress and setup.


Weight: 9 lbs 2 oz

Scale length: 34"

Nut width: 1 11/16"

Neck shape: slim C

Board radius: 7 1/4"

Body width: 13"

Body depth: 1 5/8"


Body wood: alder, I believe?

Bridge: vintage-style 4-saddle

Fretboard: maple

Neck wood: maple w/maple skunk stripe

Pickups: 1x original Mustang Bass-style humbucker


Action height at 12th fret: 3/32" bass and a hair over 1/16" treble (fast, spot-on)
String gauges: 100w-45w or close to it

Truss rod: adjustable

Neck relief: straight

Fret style: medium


Condition notes: aside from some light scratching here and there on the body and aging on the plastic parts, it's pretty clean. It's also completely original.


It comes with: its original hard case.



















Comments