2020s Partscaster Pyrographic Telecaster

This is a customer's Telecaster that I worked-on during our holiday break -- and what a guitar it is, eh? It's very lightweight (6 lbs or so?) and features a pyrographic art body with western, cowboy, and retro astronaut themes. I may also be a fan of such things!

The hardware throughout is high quality (Glendale neck plate, nice aftermarket but Fender-decal neck with a V-shape to it, hilarious pickguard, heavy-duty bridge stamped "K" on the back, compensated saddles, aged other hardware, etc.) and, post-setup, it plays the biz as well.

It arrived with a Duncan mini-humbucker/Firebird pickup already installed at the neck and a traditional Telecaster-style bridge with Fralin Tele bridge pickup. The owner wanted to swap that to a TV Jones SuperTron-style pickup and I didn't have a short-Tele bridge on hand, so I cut-down the bridge that was on it, made a quick tortoise surround for the SuperTron, and installed and wired it up.

The resulting guitar has plenty of twang and clarity and does sound Tele-like, but it's also a cleaner, rounder sound as well. This is a "bright" guitar off the bat and I agree with the owner -- it was just too shrill with a normal, Tele-style bridge pickup. With it modded it's just about perfect.

I was happy with the way the bridge cut turned-out -- I do that with my Foredom (Dremel-style tool) using cutoff wheels and then various polishing and grinding tools.
















Comments

Brandon McCoy said…
This is absolutely rad, Jake. If you can find out who did the body work, you should try to share it!
Elasticman said…
I see Charles Bronson's stache... hahahaha