1970s Gurian JB Jumbo Guitar

This well-traveled, lovingly-enjoyed old Gurian is a JR model (jumbo with rosewood back and sides) but with Brazilian rosewood used rather than Indian -- so it becomes a JB model. It's owned by local maestro Spencer Lewis who used it for a long, long time before it started going out of order. He then drifted towards Taylors and put many, many miles on those as well.

Some work had been done on this one in the past but the underlying problem (a disolcated/loose neck joint) hadn't been addressed. I did that by gluing the joint all back up and making a U-shaped surround for the top of the neckblock that is glued-up against it and should support that (fragile, damaged) area. After that it got a neck angle adjustment, fret level/dress, and setup and it's now playing spot-on and serving once again.

I feel like I never pull the right sound out of Gurians when I play them (they're sort of like Celtic guitars -- they have an even, rich sound and I always feel like I sound thin on them) but when Spencer picked it up and started playing it again it was one of those click, that's it! moments, sonically. I can see why he used this for so long -- it fits his style perfectly!

Anyhow, it's a gorgeous guitar, well-appointed, has a quick neck, and sounds the biz. Who can argue?











Comments

Greg Dennis said…
What a beauty. I’ve loved listening to Spencer play that guitar for years. Nice to know it’s received some tender loving care.