1966 Martin 0-18 Flattop Guitar

This lovely old beastie is owned by the son of the first (or possibly second) owner. It has tons of battle scars and while it was only in for a bridge replacement and setup work, I went a little farther and gave it a neck reset as well. It needed it and I'm glad I did -- the resulting guitar plays spot-on and is fit to serve for many, many years with only minor adjustments, now.

The weirdest thing about this guitar, though, is that in the neck joint (which I struggled with), I found green goo of intederminate origin. I'm pretty sure something greenish (a label? a shim? something printed?) got mixed with the epoxy that was used to reglue the dovetail. In any case, when I got the neck off, I wash mildly surprised to find green goop burbling out at me from the top of the joint. I wasn't surprised to see a pile of shims shoved in there willy-nilly, though!

I replaced an undersaddle-style pickup with a K&K, too, which should make the owner's life a lot easier (and less-tangled with spaghetti all over the inside of his guitar, too)...














Comments