1890s Buckbee-Style 5-String Openback Banjo

My guy Tim did a ton of work on this old, 1890s-era, Buckbee-style banjo for its owner. I'm pretty sure it's a Buckbee-made product due to the build and overall design, but I can't be completely sure as there are some features that remind me of Lyon & Healy-sold products as well. It has a long, 27" scale (as I recall) and a head that's a little wider than average.

It arrived in quite a state, with a torn head, missing tailpiece, snapped neck heel with a good chunk missing from it, no pegs, fretwork needing to be done -- you know, everything. The biggest hurdle was cleared by Tim's fitting a new piece of mahogany to the heel and cutting a new heel shape out of it. He then fit the dowel, leveled/dressed the frets, fit new pegs, fit a replacement (antique) head from my old-heads bin (it's lucky to find a good fit but this one was), and set it all up to play like a champ.

Per the usual, we strung it with Nylgut as it would have been strung with gut to begin with.














Comments