1969 Guild D-40 Dreadnought Guitar

This is a local customer's guitar and it was in for spa treatment. I love the aggressive sunburst and how it's faded to a ruddier mellowness with the years. Work included a neck reset, a new bone saddle, fret level/dress, and perhaps a little other fussing -- but I can't remember what, exactly. I did the reset and recut the saddle slot (so we could get a wider, fully-compensated saddle in there) and, as I recall, Jose did the rest.

These '60s Guild dreadnoughts (made in Hoboken) are on the lighter side of the build spectrum and they absolutely roar. I like the proportions and looks of these guitars a lot -- especially the older, thinner, two-point bridge design's overall cut. In the '70s the bridge went to more of a "long curve" cut to the top and lost the Martin-ness of its wings.












Comments