1906 Gibson A-3 Carved-Top Mandolin
Update 2026: I first worked on this in 2018 and then a friend of mine bought it from the owner in 2022. This is a repost, in a sense, and I've borrowed my description from the original posting and updated it where needed.
Overview: A customer brought this pretty thing by for spiffing-up and I'm certainly glad he did. It's not often that I get to work on Gibson mandolins that are this early in production. 1906 was the last year old Orville was on the label in the soundhole and both the serial number and factory order number confirm the year of build.
Repairs included: There was old work done to the instrument in the past, but what it needed from me was relatively simple -- I reset the neck (and at the same time glued-up the heel crack), gave it a fret level/dress, and set it up with 34w-10 strings (I think it may have 32w-9 on it at the moment).
- Weight: 1 lb 10 oz
- Scale length: 13 7/8"
- Nut width: 1 1/4"
- Neck shape: deeper V
- Board radius: flat
- Depth at first fret: 0.92"
- Depth at seventh fret: 1.02"
- Body width: 10 3/8"
- Body depth: 1 5/8"
- Top wood: solid spruce
- Back & sides wood: solid birch
- Bracing type: ladder
- Bridge: rosewood
- Fretboard: ebonized maple
- Neck wood: mahogany
- Action height at 12th fret: 1/16”
- String gauges: 34w-10 (or 32w-9)
- Neck relief: straight
- Fret style: very low/narrow
Condition notes: There are small scratches, scuffs, tiny nicks and dings, and whatnot throughout the finish but overall it looks really good. The heel has a repaired hairline crack lower-down (just beyond the dovetail). I did a repair job to the hanger-posts on the tailpiece in the past and it's still going strong.
It comes with: It has a newer, rectangular hard case.
Consignor tag: RRED
























Comments