1930s Dobro Model 37 "Goldie" Squareneck Resonator Guitar
Overview: My friend Joel picked this guitar up a little while back (from Carter Vintage, as I recall) in the hopes of finding something he could play with increasingly-aggressive arthritis attacking his hands. It didn't work out for him but his loss is the next owner's gain. They identified it as a circa-1940 Dobro (it has no serialization) and were unsure about the gold plating being original or not. I've opened it all-up and checked everything out.
My take is that it's a normal Model 37 that, for whatever reason, got gold-plated hardware at the factory. The tuners and tailpiece are original plating. The coverplate and gold-plated spider bridge are very likely replated to gold. The soundhole covers may be original plating but I'm unsure. It came with a Beard cone that had been gold-plated to match the rest of the trim but I swapped it out for a fresh, quality Beard cone that's unplated as the gold plating job had really, really sapped the tone out of the guitar.
The features suggest very late 1930s to me and that would make sense as the model was dropped in 1939, per various sources out there on the net. The Regal-style, two-leg tailpiece design is odd for the time, however.
Repairs included: I cleaned it up, replaced the cone, and set it up. It's now playing like a champ and it has a throaty, full, warm sound with lots of projection.
- Weight: 5 lbs 10 oz
- Scale length: 25"
- Nut width: 1 7/8"
- Neck shape: squareneck
- Body width: 14 1/4"
- Body depth: 3 1/2"
- Body: ply mahogany
- Cone type: Beard Dobro cone
- Bridge: spider-bridge w/bone saddles
- Fretboard: ebonized maple
- Neck wood: mahogany
- String gauges: 54w-12 lights (tuned GBDGBD currently)
- Fret style: medium
Condition notes: As noted, the cone is (for the second time) replaced and the coverplate and spider have been gold-plated -- the coverplate is likely a replate job but the spider was never gold-plated to begin with. The screws for the coverplate appear to be newer. It's otherwise original as far as I can tell save for an odd, added screw between the tailpiece legs. There are light to medium scratches and scuffs throughout the finish and the hardware that was replated shows some wear and tear, now, too -- I expect the job was done some decades ago. The finish also shows weather-check throughout.
It comes with: It has a good, hard case.
Consignor tag: JLTT



















Comments