1939 Martin 00-18 Flattop Guitar



Overview: This is a guitar that hits you right in the gut -- it's clean, it plays beauitfully, it sounds gorgeous, it's my favorite size, and it has parentage. There's a reason so many folks are listed in my phone as "Name Wants 00." I get calls every other day for them. Whether a prime, '30s specimen is in your budget, however, is beyond the point -- most folks I know fall in love with these guitars right-quick.


A friend of the owner dropped this one off for sale and when I popped the case lid I was shocked that inside was, basically, a fully-functional, almost ready-to-go instrument. I'm used to taking '20s and '30s Martins from their cases and thinking, "oh, this needs X, Y, Z and 1, 2, 3 to get it going." It was refreshing just to note that it only needed mild fretwork -- the action was actually dialed-in perfectly as it sat.


I did not find a single crack and the only replacement bits are the bridge, saddle, and pins. That finish is original throughout and only lightly-worn.


Repairs included: The last guy to work on it (around 2000) gave it a neck reset, new repro-style bridge and saddle, a board plane and refret, and setup work. I gave it a light level/dress of the frets and adjusted the setup at the nut just a hair. It's playing spot-on and is ready to go.

  • Weight: 3 lbs 10 oz
  • Scale length: 24 15/16"
  • Nut width: 1 3/4"
  • Neck shape: medium soft V
  • Board radius: 14"
  • Depth at first fret: 0.81"
  • Depth at seventh fret: 0.98"
  • Body width: 14 1/2"
  • Body depth: 4 1/8"
  • Top wood: solid (Adirondack) spruce
  • Back & sides wood: solid mahogany
  • Bracing type: x
  • Bridge: ebony
  • Fretboard: ebony
  • Neck wood: mahogany
  • Action height at 12th fret: 3/32” bass 1/16” treble (fast, spot-on)
  • String gauges: 54w-12 lights
  • Truss rod: non-djustable
  • Neck relief: straight
  • Fret style: medium

Condition notes: It's original save for a new bridge, saddle, and pins. The new bridge is cut very much like period bridges and is ebony, though the "through slot" saddle is actually a drop-in which makes adjustment season-to-season a little easier (a plus). This is common on a lot of newer Martin reissue-style guitars. I didn't find any cracks and the bracing and bridge plate is all good inside. I can take photos with my endoscope if desired. The finish is original throughout but shows mild weather-check and liight scratching and scuffing here and there. It is quite clean for its age, though.


It comes with: It has a good, newer hard case.


Consignor tag: DVFS






















Comments