1950s Harmony Caribbean H1002 (H929 Stamp) Tailpiece Parlor Guitar
Overview: I adore Harmony Caribbean and Stella Sundale guitars. The shop has worked on so many H929 model Harmony Stella parlors that they sort-of become "friendly regulars" around here. When these gussied-up versions roll-in I always get a bad desire for them. They're so visually cool that you just want to pick them up and strum away.
This one looks a bit like a Chevy Bel Air in its two-tone pink and cream with aluminum trim, though its Chicago-made fantasy island adventure schtick sure gets the imagination flowing. It is, however, basically just a repurposed H929, all-birch, Stella with a nice paint job.
The top on this one seems to be a hair thinner than normal and it has a bit better low-end response than most of these. It had nylon strings on it when it came in (and it sounded great with them) and I was sore-tempted to restring it with nylon after work, though I was a good kid and strung it up with steel per what it would have had when it was made.
Repairs included: I gave it a neck reset, side dots, and lightly adjusted and compensated the bridge. Sarah gave it a level/dress of the frets and I set it up. It's playing nicely and ready to go.
- Weight: 3 lbs 5 oz
- Scale length: 24 1/8"
- Nut width: 1 3/4"
- Neck shape: bigger V/C
- Board radius: flat
- Depth at first fret: 0.89"
- Depth at seventh fret: 1.05"
- Body width: 13 1/4"
- Body depth: 3 5/8"
- Top wood: solid birch
- Back & sides wood: solid birch
- Bracing type: ladder
- Bridge: ebonized maple
- Fretboard: ebonized maple
- Neck wood: poplar
- Action height at 12th fret: 3/32” bass 1/16” treble (fast, spot-on)
- String gauges: 54w-12 lights
- Truss rod: non-adjustable
- Neck relief: hair of relief at pitch (flat at reduced tension)
- Fret style: narrow/lower
Condition notes: It's original throughout with the exception of the tuners which are same-type and same-period but not original to the guitar. These tuners are also a little fussy as all of the old Waverly, period tuners like these can be. The original tuners on this had been, unfortunately, replaced with random stuff when this arrived. I usually have some newer Kluson-style tuners on hand if the next owner prefers something a little nicer.
When I reset the neck, I also added a hidden bolt at the neckblock (I am not big into trusting Harmony neck joints) internally. Aside from that, it has the usual minor wear and tear throughout the finish (weather-checking, light scratches and scuffs, etc.) and the overall finish has yellowed a bit as it's aged. The back has a little waviness to it between the bracing (pretty common on this style of model) but all the bracing is glued pat. The only crack I found ia a small one at the waist on the back and it's been drop-filled and is over the kerfing, anyhow.
It comes with: Sorry, no case.
Consignor tag: MTCH
















Comments