1970s Ibanez Artist Masterclone-Style 5-String Resonator Banjo
Overview: I love old Japanese Masterclone banjos. This Ibanez Artist is roughly comparable to a nicer-grade Gibson RB-series and has a flathead tonering, multi-ply maple rim, bracket band, full flange, plentiful inlay, and quality hardware and bits used throughout. It sounds like the real thing and plays like them, too. You can't go wrong with these critters.
The neck is quick, the handling is immediately home-base if you're into Gibson instruments, and they often weigh just a little less than a Gibson (this one's a little under 10 lbs which beats the 11-12 lb average the Gibbies seem to run for the most-part).
I took this one in trade and gleefully got it going. I wish I played more banjo these days so I would have an excuse to keep it myself!
Repairs included: I gave it a level/dress of the frets, cleaning, compensated the bridge, restrung it, and set it up. It's playing spot-on and is ready to roll.
- Weight: 9 lbs 10 oz
- Scale length: 26 5/16"
- Nut width: 1 3/16"
- Neck shape: medium soft V
- Board radius: flat
- Depth at first fret: 0.79"
- Depth at seventh fret: 0.86"
- Head diameter: 11”
- Resonator diameter: 13 3/4"
- Depth overall at rim: 3 1/2"
- Rim wood: ply maple
- Tonering: flathead
- Bridge: Snuffy Smith ebony/maple
- Fretboard: rosewood
- Neck wood: mahogany
- Action height at 12th fret: 1/16" overall (fast, spot-on)
- String gauges: 9s
- Truss rod: adjustable
- Neck relief: straight
- Fret style: medium-lower
Condition notes: As far as I can tell, it's mostly original save the head (likely a little newer) and the Snuffy Smith bridge. There's mild wear and tear throughout (light scuffs and scratches here and there) and the hardware shows a little aging, but for the most-part it's quite clean.
It comes with: It has its original, hard, brown case.
Consignor tag: JW

















Comments