2004 Larrivee OM-03 Mahogany-Top 000-Size Guitar



Overview: It's hard to beat a Larrivee as a practical, take-anywhere, nicer-grade guitar. I've seen a lot of them up here and they're often used as main gigging instruments for players. This one is 000-sized, long-scale, and mahogany throughout the top and body which gives it a little more interest than the usual Larrivee OM-style models. Yes, as expected, the mahogany top gives it more of that woody, old-timey sound. It's a good, even-sounding, relaxed-sounding instrument and the neck is quick and easy.


This one has been taken care-of and also used on gigs. It arrived with a slightly-peeling clear pickguard which I removed (it was looking a little tired). I fit a larger, custom tortoise pickguard to fill the footprint of the old pickguard. It's a little quirky but I like the countrified presence. This also came-in with an older undersaddle-style pickup system which I yanked and put in spare-parts storage. The endpin area has been overdrilled and is now filled and with a Gibson-style strap button fit.


Repairs included: I leveled and dressed the frets, fit a pickguard, yanked old wiring, and set it up. It's playing spot-on and is ready to go. I would happily fit a K&K pickup on the house if the next owner wants to have it gig-ready.

  • Weight: 4 lbs 6 oz
  • Scale length: 25 5/8"
  • Nut width: 1 3/4"
  • Neck shape: slimmer C/oval
  • Board radius: 16"
  • Depth at first fret: 0.82"
  • Depth at seventh fret: 0.89"
  • Body width: 15 1/2"
  • Body depth: 4 1/4"
  • Top wood: solid mahogany
  • Back & sides wood: solid mahogany
  • Bracing type: x
  • Bridge: ebony
  • Fretboard: ebony
  • Neck wood: mahogany
  • Action height at 12th fret: 3/32” bass 1/16” treble (fast, spot-on)
  • String gauges: 54w-12 lights
  • Truss rod: adjustable
  • Neck relief: straight
  • Fret style: medium-wide

Condition notes: The pickguard is non-original. There are mild scuffs and scratches here and there on the body and neck but overall it's in good shape. I've found no cracks. The saddle is on the low side but it has a hair of adjustment room left.


It comes with: It's got a good, hard case.


Consignor tag: JW




















Comments

CM said…
I've been playing a mahogany 2006 OM-01 Larri for a few years with a K&k pickup, pretty much the same guitar but without some of the blingier body binding the 03 has. Great stage guitar though if you're used to the boom of a dread it's definitely a different more balanced sound. The mahogany likes to be pushed a bit to really bloom the chords but fingerpicking a James Taylor tune through the K&K will put you in the snow-covered Berkshires with ten thousand miles to go...