2022 Roy Gordon ("RAG") Carved-Top F-style Mandolin
Overview: You know what? This thing is killer. I'm partial to folksily-crafted, homespun, F-5-style mandolins and I've put a number of them into the hands of some really good local players up here. This RAG (for "Roy A. Gordon") mandolin was built in Fort Ann, New York, and has lived with one of those "really good players" for the last few years, though he sorted this one out himself!
Anyhow, it's time for a change-up for him and so it's come-in for sale. It's loud, punchy, bright, and bluegrassy in flavor. I'm pretty tempted to keep it myself, though I have so many things cooking right now I can't really justify that. It's got a springy, effortless sort-of tone to it that I really like and it'll do all the bluegrass tropes if you're looking for that.
Let's not forget to mention the nicely-figured maple back/sides and neck...!
Repairs included: I think I gave it a level/dress of the frets and a setup in recent memory. It's playing spot-on and ready to serve, with plenty of adjustment room at the saddle/bridge.
- Weight: 2 lbs 8 oz
- Scale length: 13 7/8"
- Nut width: 1 1/8"
- Neck shape: medium-deep V
- Board radius: 10"
- Depth at first fret: 0.87"
- Depth at seventh fret: 1.01"
- Body width: 10 1/2"
- Body depth: 1 3/4"
- Top wood: solid carved spruce
- Back & sides wood: solid carved figured maple
- Bracing type: tonebar
- Bridge: ebony adjustable
- Fretboard: ebony
- Neck wood: figured maple
- Action height at 12th fret: 1/16”
- String gauges: 34w-10
- Truss rod: adjustable
- Neck relief: straight
- Fret style: medium modern
Condition notes: The tailpiece is non-original. There's a small ding below the bridge's treble foot on top. There are mild signs of use (light scratching, small scuffs) here and there. The whole instrument has some folksy aspects -- binding with color "bleed" here and there, a mildly-crude scroll carve, and a satin (sprayed?) finish throughout. The coloring of the sunburst is quite folksy as well.
It comes with: It's got a good, hard case.
Consignor tag: LCL























Comments