2018 Jack Stepick Weissenborn-Style Hawaiian Guitar


Overview: I've now had four Stepick Weissenborns through the shop for sale or fun and this one is marked as his Number 7 build from 2018 inside. It's got a traditional Weissenborn body-shape, dimensions, and bracing style but the body is all solid birch throughout. If you're a local yokel to the northeast and find that used of indigenous wood curious and lovely (as I do), you may be into it!


It sounds like his other Hawaiians that I've played -- almost identical in sound to many actual lower-end Weissenborn and Knutsens -- a strange mix of sing-song sweetness and sustain with less overall volume than you're expecting, especially if you come from the resonator world, but with about the same as you would have from a dreadnought or 000-size guitar (which is what it is in terms of air volume, of course).


The quality level is "journeyman builder" as it has mild quirks and the finish is not spectacular, but Mr. Stepick builds these to a very good price and the important bits (feel and sound and style) are all right there. My friend Rob has one up at his place that I like a lot and reminds me of an old Oscar Schmidt Hilo I used to own.


Repairs included: I gave it a quick restring and setup and it's playing spot-on and ready to go.

  • Weight: 3 lbs 12 oz
  • Scale length: 24 7/8"
  • Nut string spacing: 1 13/16"
  • Bridge string spacing: 2 1/4"
  • String height off board: 1/4"
  • Body width: 15 1/8"
  • Body depth: 3 1/8"

Condition notes: There's a little minor wear and tear to the finish here and there but overall it looks nice and clean. The top and back are three-piece builds so there are two seam lines on each section that may appear, at first, to look like hairline cracks (as the finish is raised over them), but they're not. 


It comes with: It's got a good, hard case as I recall.


Consignor tag: LCL

















Comments