1981 Daion Mugen Mark I 12-String Dreadnought Guitar





This is the "other" Daion 12-string my friend Rick has had me working on and this one is the 12-string version of the cedar-topped Mugen Mark I dreadnought as opposed to the 12-string version of the "The 80" model. It's thus a warmer, wider-sounding instrument but perhaps sacrifices a bit of jingle-jangle on the top end to get there. Daions were made in limited numbers in Japan by the Yamaki factory in the very late '70s and early '80s and, if you can lay your hands on one that's been setup properly, they make fantastic players' guitars as the build quality is always excellent.

Just like the other Daion 12 I just worked on, I've set this one up for E-E tuning and it plays, essentially, like an electric 12 string with the gauges I've got on it (48w-9). I had nudge the plain-string gauges down to reduce tension, too, because of past damage to the guitar -- braces that'd come unglued and some longer top cracks. I didn't want to "test it" too much.

Work included a bridge reglue, fret level/dress, crack repairs, and brace repairs. It's playing spot-on with hair-under 3/32" EA and 1/16" DGBE action at the 12th fret. The truss rod is non-functional, unfortunately, but the neck has remained essentially straight. It has a hair of relief on the treble side.


The solid cedar top is x-braced and the back and sides are ply mahogany. The neck is mahogany, too, and the fretboard and bridge are rosewood.


I love that big, slotted headstock.




The rosewood pickguard is a nice touch.



I added a bunch of string ramps behind the saddle so that there's continual good back-angle on it. The saddle has also been compensated for each individual string.










Comments