Workshop: DIY Stomp-board



This ugly-looking hunk of plywood was previously a quickly-made pedalboard but then I cut down my pedal allotment for gigs. It remained un-pedaled for half a year and so I figured: let's make that stomp-board you've always wanted, Jake!

I tried a magnetic pickup paired with springs in "Wildwood Spring Rumbler" fashion, though it wasn't exceptional. It did have a weird, wonderful sound but it wasn't the porch-style thump I was looking for as it had too much musicality and lingering wonnnnng to it. I bit the bullet and got a K&K Twin Spot and glued that up to the bottom instead.

With a bit of slapback echo or reverb tossed on the signal, it sounds just about perfect and -- yes -- you too can put one together in about 5 minutes provided you have scrap house-project wood and a hand-saw.


Note that I've made this wide enough to fit both my feet and angled it back enough (and made it tall enough) to make it comfortable for use from a mid-height stool.

Because of sensor placement near the middle, one can play with dynamics like a drum and slap it in different ways for different effects.

I still need to stick some rubber feet on it, though.

Comments