Cleanout: 2017 Wangs 5w Mini 5 Tube Amp Head & 1940s 1x10" Metal Speaker Cab





This amp/cab combo is all sorts of micro-magic. While I've posted about both separately (click here and click here), neither old post is about the two together and I've since changed speakers in the cab, too. As I mentioned before, I haven't been playing dirty in a while, so I'm cleaning-house on this set. Heck -- I just bought this "new" cab for it in November last year!

Currently, the amp is as it was -- basically "as-new" or "very lightly shopworn" -- and constitutes a 5w, tube, gloriously-raucous little thing. Tube-swapping is made easy with all tubes available for pull-out right from its "top deck." It has a bright/dark switch (which actually does something -- think Marshall "dark" and Fender/Voxy "bright), 3-knob EQ-ing (bass/middle/treble), and rectifier switching between tube, diodes, and amp in standby.

To my ears, the amp sounds kind-of '50s in a low-watt way -- sort-of Champ-y, sort-of Marshall-y, and sort of Gibson-y. The volume has to be really low to play "clean" through it, but as this is really intended for practice or recording, that's sort-of the point. Anything about 10 o'clock and you're getting some drive. All the way up and it's pure radial-airplane-engine rawr.



The only change to the cab since I last posted about it, however, is swapping-out the 10" Vox speaker in it for the lightweight 10" stock bass speaker that used to inhabit my Fender Rumble 40. I put in a more gutsy speaker in the rumble and, curiously-enough, the extended lows of this speaker works wonders with this fairly bright/midsy amp in this metal cab. It actually sounds pretty ballsy for its size.

I have a short speaker cable wired right to the speaker on the cab and the original cable for the amp head is longer so it's easy to place this a little farther out from your power supply.

The real advantage of this whole setup is that it's small, lightweight, and fits perfectly in a small recording or practice space



Comments